In this world of internet scams and fake news, a new phenomenon has sprung up. The unscrupulous ticket reseller. I know part of this world well, because in the 1990’s I worked for a reputable international theatre ticket agency. We were a legitimate service that provided assistance with purchasing tickets to performances around the world. Times have changed. Recently, we have been seeing tickets for our shows on resale sites at ridiculously inflated prices. Unfortunately, this is completely legal, and there is little we can do about it except inform our patrons. Best case scenario is that a patron overpays for a ticket, but receives one purchased from our box office by the third party reseller, and they enjoy the show. Worst case scenario is that the patron overpays for a ticket, the third party doesn’t follow through, and the patron is unable to get into the show or has to purchase another ticket.
So, I urge everyone who is looking to purchase a ticket to any events online, to make sure they are purchasing from a reputable box office, if they are not working directly with us. Here are a few things to look out for:
- Make sure the price is in line with what you expected to pay.
- Check to see if there is a physical address associated with the website. If there isn’t one, or it is difficult to find, that is a sign they may be hiding something.
- If there is a phone number associated with the website, call it.
- If you are looking for a hard-to-get ticket (Hamilton comes to mind!), you may need to purchase at a premium from a broker. Make sure there are confirmed seat locations. Most brokers who resell hard-to-get tickets have purchased those tickets from the box office and have the seat locations.
- Check the company’s ratings on Yelp or Google business.
Finally, I ask all our regular patrons, who know how to find us at lvpac.org, to do us a favor. Tell your friends and family to always go to the source for tickets! You can avoid paying additional fees by purchasing through our box office and you can be sure you’ll have a seat when you get there!